Wednesday, February 06, 2008

The Power of Meditation


Yesterday, the world lost one of it's biggest advocates of world peace and freedom from suffering. Maharishi Mahesh Yogi died at the age of 91 (or so). He spread his ideas on the power of transcendental meditation to the Western World, with the help of The Beatles. When he caught the Beatles using drugs on a visit to see him, they had a falling out...but that is another story.

Maharishi Mahesh believed in the power of collective meditation, holding the belief that if enough people meditated regularly in support of world peace, it would be achieved. Now, maybe you think the yogi is cool.....or maybe you think he is a crackpot, but either way the world will miss a man who spread the message of a better way of life than most of us experience. Whether or not you believe in his methods, how can you not believe in his message?

In light of my longstanding illness and current sore throat, I've begun to wonder that if you all would meditate on my rapid recovery tonight before you go to bed, or tomorrow morning upon waking that I could return to my normal training pattern by tomorrow evening. Then, I thought the yogi would probably think I was being selfish and look down upon this, so I came up with another (better) idea. Think about your relationship with your maker; your god or goddess, and how it effects your day to day life. Think about what you give back to this earth and all of its inhabitants....and what you are creating or leaving here for the next generation. Collectively, we all make up the reality that is the world we live in; whether we meditate or not. Just think about it...

3 comments:

Jen said...

Thanks for linking to the NYT article - I hadn't seen it. It is a loss, though I admit to having mixed feelings of admiration and suspicion of some the applications of the Maharishi's beliefs. I've been down to the Maharishi community in Iowa a few times; I went with high expectations, but ended up feeling disappointed and, quite frankly, a little creeped out. Admittedly, my experience was that of an outsider, so it's not a fair assessment. (But I'm glad Kucinich had such strong support there.)

I will send healing thoughts in your general direction (they may be accompanying a big snow storm - not my fault!)

tracie said...

Great post B!

I don't think enough of us recognize personal impact; whether physical (on the planet) or emotional/spiritual (on each other).

I'm sending positive thoughts your way, in the mean time, hot water with lemon and honey really helps those sore throats. Feel better!

Unknown said...

I LOVE getting to know who you are and how you think! You bless me!
Thanks for the challenge...