Monday, February 04, 2008

Don't Ease Me In

After a 2 week hiatus I got in a little run today; about 3 3/4 miles nice and slow. I pretty much felt like crap until a half hour into the run, and as soon as the endorphins flooded my body, it was time to stop. I'm still having some sinus issues hanging around, but as long as these short, easy workouts don't impede my healing sinuses you can officially consider my back on the wagon.....Or, maybe back in the saddle is more appropriate. The plan....ease back into 9-10 workouts/week.

I was welcomed back to my running life by a wonderful Phil Lesh and Friends gem. If you noticed the song reference in the title of this post, you might want to follow the link and download this show. It is a beauty.

As soon as I feel up to it I'll be back on the trainer. I'm going to try and lower my saddle a cm or so....I'm thinking that the cause of my knee discomfort was my saddle height. My thoughts on that matter go something like this....
I've been working on peddle mechanics quite a bit this winter. One improvement I've made is to keep a neutral foot through the bottom of the pedal stroke. In other words, my toes used to point slightly downward at the bottom of my stroke....now, they do not. Once I began to put in more time in the saddle, and got in a couple of road rides (one of with was about 45 hilly miles), the back of my knee was stressed by my new, smoother, more powerful peddle stoke not working in conjunction with my saddle height. So, the saddle will go down a hair, and my knee will thank me.

...and one more thing. What a freakin' wonderful football game last night!!

5 comments:

Jen said...

Nice music link :-) Glad you're getting back into the swing of things!

tracie said...

Good luck with the return to training!!! Enjoy the tunes and getting back in the saddle! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey B Bop, thanks for commenting on my blog today!

I got over here and thought, "This looks familiar!" Then I read down a bit and realized that V*T linked to your great "we don't have to tell our moms" bik adventure story awhile back. :)

I'm sorry to hear you've been sick. Hope you're back at 100% soon!

Charlie said...

"She brings 'bout me every damn thing but the jailhouse key"

I do a lot of adjusting during these early trainer workouts. It is a great time to dial it in.

E-Speed said...

hope you recover from the sinuses quickly! Looking forward to getting you out running on the trails!