Thursday, January 31, 2008

Day 12.......no training.

I'm still recovering from my illness. Each day I'm feeling a little better, but I'm not going back to my training routine until every symptom is 100% gone. I am really looking forward to tying the knot on top of my asics and setting out on a run to an unknown destination. I've become accustomed to setting aside an hour or two a day to be free of all the stresses of life; that wonderful time where I can fall into the rhythm of my breath and pit-pat of my sneakers and just let my mind wander. If you are a runner, I need not say more...

Now, as I wait to be sure I am completely recovered from the attack of this bug I have to find a different way to attack the stresses of life. I have not thought about a specific way of dealing with stress without training, it just sort of happened. And I've found myself keeping busy well into the evening with my studies.....and I feel rejuvenated in my academic pursuits. You know, I'm a treehugger (a.k.a environmentalist), and, like triathlon, this lifestyle has it's difficulties. Believe it or not folks, being a treehugger isn't all Bush-bashing and tofu-eating!

I have to say that although losing 2 weeks of training sucks, I am glad that I have been able to rekindle the fire that I have for environmental and social justice issues. So, if you live in Ohio and you are a treehugger too, you can go here to show support for renewable energy in Ohio, which is virtually as fulfilling as hugging (or even kissing) a tree. If you are unsure about renewable energy being a good choice for us, or would like to read a bit about the benefits of "green" energy go here or here.

You might recall the urban farm project I worked on last semester? I'll be giving a presentation to some of the active urban farmers in town in order to 1) stimulate interest and 2) continue brainstorming with folks who are knowledgeable about growing food in the city and getting that food to market. We are still putting together a working model, but the big question is, "where's the capital going to come from?"

Are you a Bioneer?? We've started planning for the Cleveland conference in 2008. More details to come on this as they are worked out.

I suppose if I'm not dreaming about a full carbon TT bike decked out in dura-ace.....or Kona, I might as well dream about wind turbines, local food, and a positive future!!!

4 comments:

triguyjt said...

really admirable stuff you are working on..

best in getting better but 2 weeks in the grand scheme of things won't hurt you at all

tracie said...

maybe a short hike through CVNP with Sage would at least make you feel like you have a some mental chill time??

good luck with recovery and all your 'treehugging' endeavors :)

Jen said...

hippie.

Charlie said...

Let me know when you give the presentation. I think Nichole is interested.
Get well. Your training will fall into place when it's time.