Friday, December 14, 2007

The other side

Somehow, I manged to get everything submitted and now I am looking forward to a little break. I was forced into a recovery week due to all the time spent composing papers and making maps, but plan to get things going again this weekend. Two weeks ago my weekly running mileage hit 20 for the first time....and other than a wee bit of IT pain I felt pretty good. It would be great to get up to a 30 mile week before starting my next training cycle. Soon I'll have my race schedule solidified, but no doubt I plan to peak around mid-August for another 70.3. I'm thinking of a spring half-mary and early season 70.3; as well as a fall marathon, assuming I get my running mileage up to the point of marathon worthiness.

I just signed up for THE BEAST!!! today.

In other training notes, I've been attending one excel in cycling workout per week. These workouts are tough, but are exactly what I need to address my lack of power on the bike. I suppose my chicken legs might not be so bad for running....but they aren't exactly up for pushing big wattage on the bike...yet...

And now that my semester is over, I think it's time to really focus on my health.....

9 comments:

Mnowac said...

LOL! Guiness IS good for you . Enjoy, glad to hear you got everything turned in. Those excel classes are sooo far away, but I really want to try and get there once a week too, they are tough! I don't hurt horribly afterwards, but my legs just feel really tired for like 2-3 days! I can imagine by doing that once a week, plus my own spinning another time or two, I'll be ready to bike, bike, bike in the spring.

B Bop said...

I rode somewhere between 2000 and 2250 miles on the road this year....and those classes kick my ass!!! Indeed, one excel session a week should reap some benefits come spring.

Jen said...

I checked out the link, and those cycling classes look awesome! Congratulations on finishing another semester! Enjoy your break (and by "break" I mean time to train without a million other pesky obligations getting in the way :-)

Charlie said...

Guinness. Not Vegan :(

B Bop said...

Indeed, Guinness is not vegan. I do appreciate, particularly, the argument about over consumption of meat and many of the problems it causes.

However, I wonder to what extent things like leather and bone filtering (isn't that what makes Guinness not a vegan beverage?) make usage of animal products that would otherwise be discarded. I guess I gotta do my best to justify my actions...

Thanks Charlie (and Veg on many other occasions) for helping me to question my decisions.

Jen said...

Dude - I didn't even say anything!!! ;-)

At a bike library meeting the other night I actually witnessed a friend drink an "Irish Car Bomb." Have you heard of this? It was a shot of Jamesons with Baileys in a half-pint of Guinness, slammed as quickly as possibly to consume it before curdling. Crazy. It was a very productive meeting.

Charlie said...

Oh, I'm just jealous about the Guinness.

B Bop said...

Jen, I really don't like Irish car bombs that much really.....and that's the truth! ((looks innocent))

This time of year I sometimes have one or 2 of them with some of my old cronies back to visit their hometown. They are quite tasty....and dangerous.

Charlie, I didn't think you were bustin' my balls....maybe I'm a bit jealous of your tough commitment to do something that has so many benefits for all of us on this planet. Maybe I question my omnivorous ways.....maybe I'll compose a post about my eating habits and why I question them.....

Jen said...

Quite frankly, they sound a little disgusting to me (veganism aside). Disgusting, yet strangely fascinating. But I also take a lot of shit at those meetings for being the one who likes beer you can see through, so... what do I know, eh?