Saturday, December 15, 2007

Winter Training in Northeast Ohio

I had plans to hit the pool this morning and then get in my long run later this afternoon. After spending too much time standing around a pool table and/or sitting on a bar stool last night, I skipped the morning swim in exchange for a little sleeping in. Aside from sleeping in, one of the joys of a little time off of school is that I get to read what I want to read.....so I started A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold, a read which is far overdo. As the snow started to fall on us here in Northeast Ohio, I was inspired by some of Aldo's words,
"There are two spiritual dangers of not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other is that heat comes from the furnace. To avoid the first danger, one should plant a garden, preferably where there is no grocer to confuse the issue. To avoid the second, he should lay a split of good oak on the andirons, preferably where there is no furnace, and let it warm his shins while a February blizzard tosses the trees outside."

Today I did not plant a garden, nor build a fire....but I did experience a little of mother nature on my run (with my camera in tow)......

Setting out on the towpath:






A couple of pics of the mighty Cuyahoga:



Truckin' along down the towpath trail:

The snow picked up a bit before my run was over:

It is in weather such as this that a beard comes in handy (yes, icecycles had begun to form on my beard, eybrows, and eyelashes):

This is what happens to your car after an hour and a half of running through the snow:

8 comments:

Charlie said...

This is a really good post.

Mnowac said...

Nice pics! I was looking forward to running in a snowstorm today - no such luck, we only got like 2 inches of snow and now it's just raining, yuck. Off to the pool I go!

Monica

Jen said...

Cool pictures! This looks like such a great snowy run :-) I've read much about this "towpath" - it's nice to finally see what it looks like!

Craig said...

Nice snowy run. I ran inside today on the track though. Next time I'll have to run in the snow too.

Adventures with MS said...

Seems as though we had the same idea about the book thing...nothing more pampering to the spirit than reading for FUN!!!

Hope we see you before we leave on Friday!

tracie said...

Great pics!!!

GP said...

All you had to do was jump in the Cuyahoga and your workout would have been complete ;-)

Serious props to you for going out in the snow. I'm still whining about my leg so I don't have to run in the tundra just yet (it's actually get pretty nice out now).

I love time-off reading time. I'm catching up on everything right now!

Anonymous said...

ahh; i miss the towpath!