Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanks


I've eaten breakfast, and will be getting on my way shortly to the home run for the homeless 4 miler here in downtown Akron. Before I go, I thought I'd stop here and wish a happy holiday to you. In the spirit of thanksgiving, here are a couple of thoughts on what I'm thankful for.

Yes of course, I'm thankful for all of the things we all take for granted all too often....family, friends, my puppy, and the abundant wealth of living in America. I'm thankful I've found endurance sports, and I'm thankful for what the sport has given to me.

I suppose you could say I found triathlon by chance. Basically what happened was that I'd known Treetop for years; I met J; introduced Treetop to J; they got married; J's father started running marathons; Treetop and J started running and invited me to join their Akron Mary relay team. Then, they asked me to join them for the home run for the homeless 4 miler....this was 3 years ago.

That thanksgiving we ran in a blizzard. It was cold, very windy, and snowing like CRAZY. My beard was freezing around my face in a hurry. I was hooked....

Fast forward through a few road races the following summer where I met a couple folks involved in triathlon and here I am.

Here I am with plans to train for my second half-iron distance event next summer and with thoughts of IM Louisville or IM Moo in the back of my head for the summer of '09. All of the training has brought many good things to my life. I have improved my health. My outlook on life has changed.

I set goals. Long term goals. Short term goals. Athletic goals. Career goals. Personal goals. Goals that make my life more fulfilling by the act of pursuing them. I've begun to think of my life as always moving towards something great, as opposed to just moving. I used to think of life like a timeline. I was always moving forward, at a steady pace...slow and steady...day after day.

I now think of life like a mountain, and with each step I keep moving closer to that breathtaking vista. Along the trek to the top of the mountain the clouds, sun, trees, and trail allow for an occasional view, a moment of beauty and enjoyment.....but no view will be like the one at the summit. Thank you friends of endurance sport, and friends of life for pointing out this path. I'm on my way.....

8 comments:

Jen said...

It's pretty amazing how accomplishing one kind of goal can influence how you approach others, isn't it? I enjoy following your journey on this blog. Happy thanksgiving :-) Hope you had a great run this morning!

Unknown said...

Brandon!
You don't know how much you bless me! I am so thankful you met me and dad out there two years ago to run in th Blizzard of '05. And that we've got this tradition now with lots and lots people! I can't think of a better way to start a day of thankful.
I wish I could have gotten a chance to talk to you more this morning...

Unknown said...

I do! I do!!!
I've actually had it for awhile but started to use it more after you and J started to blog on here.

Jen said...

The blog looks fancy :-)

Charlie said...

Keep climbing. So much to gain on the way up.
Have a good weekend.

E-Speed said...

I think you are on the right track!

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Adventures with MS said...

I find it interesting how thankful you do feel at times in life. Such as....

How lucky I am to have gained a friend in you and in turn my soulmate P.

How lucky I am to have the support of friends and family (In which you are both) that support me in more ways than they even know


So thanks B for just being your kind hearted soulful self.

Mnowac said...

Very nice blog today! I feel the same way, getting into endurance sports has enriched my life so greatly and made me such a goal oriented person - which I think is a very good thing!!!! Hope you had a wonderful holiday.