Wednesday, September 05, 2007

The Long Weekend (And What's Really Important)

Holidays are grand. It's nice to get a "break" from all the chaos that has become my day to day grind. I'm taking 16 hrs. of classes this semester. Add in a full time job, my desire (addiction) to train, nightly walks with the puppy, and 3 (or 5) meals to prepare....I have hardly time for anything else....including blogging. But I'll find time for a little narcicism now and again, trust me.

My holiday weekend went something like this...

Saturday morning I rose out of bed around 5:30. Ate. Hit the road with Amaterasu around 6:30. Rode down to the STOMP Bicycle Adventure to meet Janet, JT, and a few other CTC peeps. What a perfect day for a spin on the bike. The morning was brisk. I set off with knee warmers and the windbreaker for the first time since the late spring. My ears were a bit cold on the descent into the Cuyahoga Valley, where the tour started. Met the peeps next to the coffee pot and we set off on the 100K route. After a short warm up on the valley floor we ascended the western flank. The first climb of the day was nice and long...about 2.5 miles (Everett Rd. for you NE Ohio folks). No more windbreaker after this one!!

The ride continued to the Southwest, never going too far from the valley rim. We headed into Medina County for a bit before turning to head back down to the national park. By the time we were done, it was hot. I got sunburned. I sat at the smallest picic table imaginable and ate a nice big lunch that included my first experience with Dragonfruit juice. Well, my drink contained less than 1% juice, but it was still named after the fruit anyways. I spent another hour or so after lunch lying under a tree and shootin' the shit with Craig and a couple other folks.

I hopped back on Amaterasu to spin home. Realizing that I'd be over 80 miles for the day when I made it back I decided to take a little detour. I turned the cranks until my computer read 100 miles, and by this time I was quite bored and happy to get off the old steed. After all the 50 plus mile rides the last couple years, I've finally crossed the century mark.

Sunday I was a little sore. I rested. I studied. I went out for about 20 miles on the bike with Julia.

Monday was the Labor of Love 5 miler. Met Julia and her family at the race, across the street from the University of Akron. I wasn't sure how I'd fare in this one after the century ride on Saturday and considering that I haven't been running regularly since the GCT. I lined up near the front of the pack and set off at a nice clip. The course was 2 loops of rolling hills on the roads surrounding the University campus, with a short jaunt onto campus after a nice spirit breaking hill near the turnaround/finish.

I felt pretty good for most of the run. The last mile or 2 (especially the last hill) were challenging, but shouldn't they be? I was feeling the effects of the sun as my heartrate went through the roof on that last climb and 1/4 mile flat to the finish. Final time 33:15 for a 6:39 pace. That put me @ 21st overall out of 372 runners. 2nd in my AG out of 31. Possibly my strongest stand alone run yet. It was certainly one I was happy with.

But, I have been hella sore since. My swim today finally helped to lossen up these old legs. Next on the list is the Portage Lakes Oly distance tri in about 10 days. My first oly.

But here's what's important. TriBoomer is doing IM Wisconsin this weekend. He has been raising money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. $50,000 worth of raising money!!!!! He created the 500 over 140.6 honor roll. He has collected over 500 names of cancer victims, fighters, and survivors (of any type of cancer) and will carry those names with him over the entire ironman course this weekend. We all know someone who has been touched by this unforgiving disease. Go on over to his blog and add a loved one to the list. Better yet, if you can, donate to the cause.

Boomer will carry the name of my sister, who I'm calling Ms. Fighter. Ms. Fighter was diagnosed with stage 3 melanoma at the age of 19. She is turning 21 this month. She is a devout christian and is finishing up her Bachelors degree this year (just edging out her brother to this achievment, who is 10 years her elder might I add). Throughout her treatment, she continued to attend class. She was sick. Her hair thinned. She never lost sight of her goal, to get through her treatment and finish school in 4 years. After treatment she piled on the classes, 18 & 19 hrs. worth. She is in remission. Ms. Fighter, my sister, is one of my heros.

I admire those that face adversity, get knocked down, and stand up and keep fighting. Ms. Fighter, I may not know what it is like to go through all you went through, but I admire you.

Thank you TriBoomer. Hopefully Ms. Fighter, and everyone else who has been diagnosed with this terrible disease, knows that there are many of us out there who admire them for their strength, courage, and fortitude. These same attritbutes that Boomer will need to complete Ironman. Good luck my friend!

9 comments:

Jen said...

Ms. Fighter sounds like an amazing sister. Melanoma is scary stuff. Wear your sunscreen on those long rides.

Congrats on another AG award AND for hitting the century mark!!! I'm right behind you on that one... I hope.

Janet Edwards said...

It was so nice to get to ride with you Saturday! You really cranked out the miles! Good for you!

Impressive performance Monday. You just keep getting faster! Way to go!

I admire the spirit of Ms. Fighter!

Craig said...

Stomp ride was a lot of fun. Good times shooting the breeze with you after cycling.

Portage Lakes olympic race is perfect way to wrap up your successful triathlon season.

Ms. Fighter is a inspiration!

Unknown said...

Love that you get to hang with my fam! And do so amazing!
And I am HUGE praying for your sister! Thanks for sharing your story and hers with us.

Adventures with MS said...

People amaze me everyday as well, I added my father to the list.

Thank You

Jodi said...

Way to go Ms Fighter!

And please allow me to slap you silly for allowing yourself to get sunburned!!!!

See you out on the roads again in the fall!

:-)

jodi

GP said...

Have a great oly (that's just fun to say) on Sunday. I'm doing Saturday's super sprint. I signed up for it looong ago before even the GCT, now I'm kind of hankering for Sunday's race. But I'm also in it to support some first-timers I pushed into tri.

You're doing an incredible job balancing the game of life and kicking some racing butt too. High five!

Charlie said...

How did boomer do?
On second thought, you already told us. He did amazing stuff.
Congrats on the AG.
Keep up the good fight Ms. Fighter!
Keep bein' a good bro bop. Little sisters do look to big brothers for a bit of help.
Stay warm at portage lakes. Take care of the toes and fingers.

Jen said...

Hey-Did you have a race today? I hope it went well!

-Jen