Sunday, August 26, 2007

Wait, what did that commercial just say?????

There is a new drug on the market to treat Restless Leg Syndrome. Maybe you have seen the commercial for this new drug on TV. I happend to hear the advertisement a few days back, and was vaguely paying attention (as I typically do with commercials) until I heard something out of the ordinary.

This commercial was simillar to all the other prescicption drug commercials you see on TV these days. I'm sure you've seen one......

"If you take our drug, we'll make your life better. Just listen to this peaceful music we're playing, listen to my soothing voice, and look at those flowers we're filming next to the smiling person that used to be bothered by said problem. Side effects include.........(insert long and seemingly serious list here)........

So, why am I writing about this you ask? Because one of the side effects of this new drug to cure restless legs syndrom is.......an urge to gamble.

What?????????????

An urge to gamble....is a side-effect.....of a drug used to cure strange sensations in one's leg?????????????

What the hell do they put in these pills????????

Anyone????

My fall semester begins tomorrow morning. Maybe someone at the university would be able to show me the link between gambling urges and leg discomfort?? But I doubt it.

9 comments:

Jen said...

Wha?

Truly odd. Did you see those stories (maybe a year ago) about how a certain kind of sleeping pill was making people wake up and eat copious amounts of food and then not remember it the next morning? And now gambling...

If you hear any commercials that list any of the following side effects, please let me know ASAP:

1) This drug may make you run faster.
2) This drug may make you bike faster.
3) This drug may make you swim faster.

And, if there's any evidence that shows the RLS-pill-induced-gambling is likely to be lucrative, then let me know about that, too.

Adventures with MS said...

Paul and I saw that commercial, it made us laugh.

The side effects tend to be worse than the actual symptoms they treat...your legs are better but you are out $1000 bucks due to a midnight urge for slots.

Unknown said...

Hahahahaha...
Thanks for asking the question!
So much ridiculous...

Charlie said...

My buddy Zac was telling me about an add for some social Anxiety Medication. One side effect was uncontrollable diarrhea. That should improve social anxiety.

B Bop said...

Holy shit Charlie, that's funny .(was that a pun??)

Adventures with MS said...

Upcoming running races:

Labor of Love 5 miler-At the Chapel near Akron U on Labor Day

Mantua Potato Stomp 9 miler- Saturday the 8th-this is such a nice race and a lot of fun

Buckeye Half Marathon- Sunday the 9th

Air Force Half Marathon- Sat the 15th

Cuyahoga Falls Nat 5K- Sat the 22nd

Akron Half Marathon- Sat the 29th

Columbus Full Marathon- Sun Oct 21st

Paul is not doing anything until the Nat 5K but your are welcome to join me at any of the above.

Jodi said...

That's hilarious!

Well, people with RLS tend to be old... Old people have a natural urge for gambling... Tired people don't have a lot of urge to do anything...So if you take our drug, you'll feel refreshed and do all the things you wanted to do anyway but were too tired to do!

hehehe

:-)

Jodi

ps. Great seeing you out today!

GP said...

Now I have to actually listen to that commercial when it comes on. I had no idea that a drug could induce gambling urges. Oh, I can imagine the law suits.

All the best on your fall semester! This should be my last semester, and the beginning is always a fun scrambling mess, trying to balance work, school and training. Alas, it is my blog that always suffers ;-)

Adventures with MS said...

sorry we jetted from the run without saying goodbye, my dad was a little concerned about my grandma walking around...


Good run today, BTW