Thursday, July 19, 2007

Now's a fine time to tell me!!

I've been training with the same nutrition for months....and months. Not once was I toppled over in my running shoes with my stomach in knots. Rarely did my stomach even grumble. And so I jump jump into this final month of the most physically stressful training of my lifetime. And now, something ain't working right. Tuesday I had another run where my second Vanilla GU, about an hour into my run, caused me to stop (for a few minutes) rather than helping me to push onward. This has happened before and within the last month. I have 3 weeks to figure this out. Man, seems so strange that I handled the GU so well and now........ugh!! If I do go with a different gel, I don't so much like the idea of trying it out over my taper. I need to know how it works when I'm pushing limits. I feel great about my training to this point. The swimming has come around. The bike has been there from the beginning. The first half of the run I'll be fine, and the second half of the run I'll finish on willpower alone if I have to. But stomachache's......man, not something I want to pop up at this point. But I suppose since it did, I oughta do something.

5 comments:

Charlie said...

Be sure to wash it down with H2O. Not a sports drink.

Jen said...

Do you ever read Inside Triathlon magazine? There's an article in this month's issue that might be helpful... can't remember what it's called right now, but the focus is on race nutrition & GI stress.

Charlie said...

Martin Medeski and wood. friday at mall C. Starts at 10 pm. it is free

GP said...

For months I was OK with running, swimming, cycling... anything I trew my way. But then my stomach would bother me from time to time. And then almost all the time during long runs.

My doctor and other runners suggested that the jostling running does to my insides might be causing the irritation. So, depending on how I feel on any given day or how long a run I plan, I'll take two Immodium before I run.

Whatever chemicals are released in reaction to the jostling are apparently curbed and generally stop me from stomach or any other type of internal discomfort. Just a tip. Which I may have given you before. I don't remember.

But I am grateful for your great north Akron-area tips all the time! I tend to know nothing around here. I was just going to drive to my mom's house in Euclid and just in the lake!

GP said...

I'm at work and only had a moment to scan my memory and your blog: have you mentioned whether you will be doing the Cleveland and/or Greater Cleveland triathlons? Just curious.