Tuesday, July 17, 2007

No Rat, Nor Dog.

But rather goggles and running shoes.

Ratdog played in Cleveland last night. Steve Kimock, guitar master, sat in doing what he does best. In years past I would have went to the show in Cleveland, and as long as Kimock was around, more than likely one or two others. I would have joined my friends to revel in the sounds. I would have thought about quiting my job, quiting my "life" as I was living it (the mantra was, "I'd rather have a life than a living"). I would have drank stout and ate the best vegetarian meal and goo-balls to be found in the parking lot. What fun the journey is......spending time with the traveling circus of concert dwellers, where each waking moment is a celebration of life. One night in Cleveland then on to the next city, and the next. Sure beats the 9 to 5. If you are a deadhead, phishead, spreadhead, partygoer, or music lover you probably understand. Last night, I missed seeing my old friends. I missed getting to know the new ones. I missed the celebration. I missed the journey.

But still I celebrate yet another journey which has brought me new friends. A journey to an unknown destination to share with some old ones. A journey that will see me cover 70.3 miles swimming, biking, then running. A journey that has no limits other than those I put on myself.

It kind of reminds me of Phish tour, without being chased out of town by the police. Instead the police block traffic as I race my bicycle through the streets of Northeast Ohio.

Cool.

Instead of being asked how I travel without a job, or if I pay taxes, I'm asked how I manage to ride my bicycle so far.

It was hard for people to believe I traveled from city to city selling vegetarian burritos out of the trunk of my station wagon.

It is hard for people to believe I can ride my bicycle so far by simply getting on it to ride....often.

I never would have thought I could travel such distances without leaving Northeast Ohio. My first half-iron, up on Lake Erie......miles upon miles away from the homeless traveler.

I used to keep track of set lists. Look them over and mention the rarities to my friends. The anticipation of the next Tweezer, Simple, or Harry Hood led me to many cities, nearly broke but with a concert ticket in hand. And there was, eventually, that Harpua at Star Lake.....it was not New Years Eve and Toad was outside with our dogs. Something just wasn't right.

On to the next adventure........Last week was somewhat a recovery week before my final big volume push and then taper. Rather than setlists or concert dates, this is what I kept track of last week:

Mon: Swim 2000M Bike 17.66 miles
Tue: Run 4.1 miles
Wed: Bike 28.68 miles(intervals)
Thu: Rest
Fri: Swim 1500M Run 7.2 miles
Sat: Bike 50.35 miles
Sun: Swim 1000M Bike 24.55 miles

Totals:
Swim: 4500M
Bike: 121.24 miles
Run: 11.3 miles
Ben & Jerry's: One pint. mmmmmmmmm, Americone Dream!!

2 comments:

Charlie said...

Hmm, blogger did not post my comment.
Anyhow, Triathlon is much like tour. The dancing is a forward motion, and the lifestyle a bit healthier.

Ratdog was fun. It was nice to visit that scene and see some old friends. I love where I am at today. The celebration is in living.

Craig said...

I've been wanting to tryout Ben & Jerry's Americone Dream. Where in the falls area can you buy it?