Thursday, August 02, 2007

Taper Time

When I got into the pool for the first time last fall I was hoping to keep myself fit through a foot injury. I figured that if I learned how to swim well enough, I could try out a triathlon or 2 this summer and see what I thought of the sport. Well, I like it. As a matter of fact, I am hovering on the brink of addiction, and I have been flirting with the point of overtraining. A little over a week ago, on my last big brick (3 hour ride, 1 hour tempo run) shortly after the workout I spiked a nice fever and was aching all over and shivering whilst hovering above my plate of rigatoni. My body had reached it's breaking point. So, now I rest, and wait for August 12th. Thus far I have been recovering well (from the physical aspect), even if I have more pent up energy than I know what to do with. Well, I guess I know what to do with it......save it for GCT.

I am ready. I am anxious. I cannot wait to donn my new wetsuit and head out into The Great Lake Erie's chilly waters before greeting Amaterasu on the shore. I cannot wait to test myself on the second half of the run course, on what will be my first half-marathon. My longst run of my life is 10 miles. My longest run during the peak phase of my training was a measley 8.5 miles. The cross-training and positive thinking will lead me to the finish line, where Charlie will be picking his guitar on his last weekend before Ironman UK. I did not think a half-ironman would be in my summer plans, but here I am......waiting patiently. Here is what has gotten me to the starting line:

Swim training: January 18th to July 30 logged 48,200M (30.125 miles) in about 20.55 hours in the water. In October I could barely swim a 25M length in the pool. Finished up with 2000M "long" workouts. This experience brought me to realize the potential of the human body.

Bike training: Febuary 28th to July 29th logged 1327 miles in about 81 hours in the saddle. My strength of the 3 disciplines in terms of endurance (vs. speed). My comfort on the bike will be essential @ the GCT.

Run training: January 15th to July 29th logged 248.5 miles in about 33.6 hours of foreward motion. I could/should have put in more time here. My strength of the 3 disciplines in terms of speed (vs. endurance). I feel comfortable on runs of 1 1/4 hour or less. Above that is pretty much unfamiliar territory....

Bring on the 70.3!!!!!

3 comments:

Charlie said...

Be careful when a fever is present. You are best served by sleeping it off.
You are gonna rock the GCT. The toughest thing for you will be holding back early.
My taper rule is cut volume, maintain frequency and intensity. Next week take 3 days off entirely.
Works for me.

B Bop said...

I was pretty concerned when the fever spiked right after the workout. I recovered well, however, and felt great last weekend with a 10K race Sat. and long ride (Sweet Corn) and run off the bike Sunday. It helped to put my overtraining worries @ ease. My taper routine has kinda sucked, and since last weekend I haven't felt quite right. Cutting some frequency and/or intensity has me feeling off, I think. Lesson learned.

Craig said...

Good seeing you Saturday in the swim lanes at Munroe Falls. Your definitely good to go for the swim part of GCT 70.3. I was wiped out after my 10 mile trail run in the heat, so I got out of the water and rested for 40 minutes. Swim then for a strong 45 minutes. Burner River 100 mile racers last night got my motivation jazzed for next Sundays race. See you 1 week at 7am on the GCT 70.3 course!