Monday, June 11, 2007

Eagerly Anticipating the Solstice

Hello bloggerland. I have been gone a while. I have had a rough go of it, emotionally over the last few weeks, but life is moving on....as it always seems to do. I have learned some hard lessons, which I guess are the ones that have the biggest effect on you. My advice to you is to give a hug or a kiss to everyone you love the next time you see them. Yes, I know you see your wife every day.....but give her a giant hug and a kiss and bask in that moment. Yes, I know you only see your drinking buddy and old comrade once a month on a barstool and you don't like the idea of hugging another man in a public place, but hug him and absorb that moment. Some day you'll be glad you did.

I missed the Sunday in June ride, unfortunately, but was able to spend a bit of time in Chicago last weekend. What a great city. I put in a 5 mile run on the shores of Lake Michigan and I came home with a couple of cases of Fat Tire and lost something that is worth more to me than all of the beer, bikes, and perfect runs in the world. Sorry, you don't get details. As far as my planned first century ride, it has been moved to the Sweet Corn Challenge.

Sunday I headed over to Monroe Falls Park for my first "open water" swim and all went well. I'm not sure exactly of the distance...maybe 1100 or 1200 yards I put in and felt great. The confusion caused by not being able to see whilst swimming in the murky water is great. My body adapted well to the longer and slower sets. No doubt, I would prefer to do anything outside as opposed to the same activity inside. Later that evening a bit of spinning on the bike rounded out a nice day.

The calf has been holding up well, although it hasn't really been tested with any distance, to speak of. I felt great for a 4 miler today and am planning on doing the Jim Klett 10K this weekend. Then the weekend following will be my first triathlon out @ Monroe Falls Yahoooooo!!! OK, it is a very, very short sprint but perfect for my first one. A longer tri will follow at the end of the season, more than likely Greater Cleveland out on the east side. Something about swimming around in Lake Erie for about a mile is very exciting. My other option is the Portage Lakes Tri about a month later, which is very close to the Akron Marathon so I think Greater Cleveland will work out better. I've had my season's fill of physical and emotional injuries and it's only June, just over a week to the solstice. I can't wait.

3 comments:

Jodi said...

I'm sorry you are going through such a tough time. It's great advice to appreciate the people we love. So often we take our friends and family for granted.

Stay strong

Jodi

Janet Edwards said...

Sorry to hear things have been tough.

I am signed up for the Jim Klett run too so I will see ya out there! Now that you have gotten so fast I am just going to try to keep you in my sights!

Charlie said...

Good to see you back in blogland. I was becoming concerned.
Times can be tough on the soul. Stay focused. A lot is going right for you. You have the tools to make positives from any thing.
Take the time to mourn. Recovery is the when our greatest growth happens.
BWell BBop.