Saturday, May 19, 2007

A Footrace, My Bicycle, Basketball, and A Bit of Narcissism

O.K., it took much deliberating but the verdict is out......no half marathon tomorrow for me. My calf is better, but not 100%, and it is not worth the risk of reinjury so early in the season. I will postpone my first half marathon only because I know there is more in store just around the corner. Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow. I will be there cheering you on and putting in a long ride with Amaterasu later in the day. I offered to volunteer tomorrow, but by the time I contacted the proper people the volunteer spots had been filled. Apparently there is no shortage of volunteers for this race. Alright Clevelanders!!!

The Cavaliers are deserving of some praise for their arrival in the Eastern Conference Finals. Detroit will be a tough, tough series...as anyone following the playoffs knows. I will stand by my prediction that I made early this season that if they get good backcourt production from anyone (Sasha, Gibson, Hughes), make free-throws, and rebound the ball well they will land in the Finals. Who would have believed that Dallas and Phoenix would be watching the Western Conference finals from home? That is shocking. The San Antonio/Utah series will go seven games and is almost a toss up, but Tim Duncun will prove to be the factor to push the Spurs into the finals.

Now, if I can be narcissistic for a moment (assuming blogging in and of itself, is not narcissistic) I'd like to share with you that I did indeed achieve my first perfect semester in my many years of higher learning. I felt acomplished when I opened my grade sheet to see this:

Deductive Logic: A
Contemporary Urban Issues: A
Economics of Policy Analysis: A

Hrs. completed: 12
GPA: 4.0

After many years of disinterest in actually finishing my bachelor's degree, and failed attempts to enroll, earn a degree and enjoy my studies, I am finally enjoying my academic opportunity and am eagerly anticipating what lies ahead. A career change is on the horizon, along with a B.S. and plans for a M.S. I am entering a new degree program at CSU (I've already been labeled the departments guinea pig) with a major in Economic Development and a minor in Environmental Studies. The Economic Development degree brings with it a G.I.S. certificate, and honing my mapmaking skills is something I eagerly anticipate. The M.S. degree is offered via a "fast track" in which I will be able to double count courses for both my B.S. and my M.S. in my final semesters. Now, if anyone is interested in donating to this cause simply send me an e-mail...personal checks, money orders, and paypal accepted ;-)

2 comments:

Charlie said...

Congrats. GPA is great news. I was also an older student. I got so much more out of my studies in my 30's than I ever would have at 20.

Not to look past Detroit. But, we play San Antonio well and Lebron will never let Boozer out shine him.

I think the Z is a bit tougher this year and won't backdown to Rasheed. It is time for Scott Pollard to get some elbo time. Should be a great series again.

Janet Edwards said...

Glad to hear the academics have taken such a dramatic turn for the best. Best of luck in your continued success.

Rest up and heal well so there are no recurring injuies to plague you in this year that still holds so much potential for ya!!!