Saturday, February 16, 2008

Lucky Birds


During my run yesterday, I finally returned to that blissful space often referred to as runners high. I began to think about the physiological events that were happening. I thought about my quickened heart rate and how it accompanies the endorphins. Shortly thereafter, I thought about the canary, whose resting HR sits somewhere around 1000 bpm. Whoa!! And, birds get so much exercise flapping those wings so many times each day, except for the ostrich. Well, the ostrich is so big that its resting heart rate is much slower than 1000 bpm. But, that is another story. This story is about canaries.

With all of that exercise and a ticker that's moving at breakneck speeds, I bet they live their lives in a constant state of runners high, or shall we call it birds high. Not only do they get to fly around and sing all day, but the endorphins have to be quite active under those feathers. The endorphin generated euphoria would be a logical explanation for all of the singing, I suppose. Are there any zoologists out there who can confirm that birds really are living this blissful existence? I guess if you come into this life as a canary you have a HUGE chance you will spend your entire life in jail (a.k.a. be a pet and live in a cage), which is not so desirable.

Or, you could be one of those lucky wild canaries. The one with the racing heart that gets a huge amount of exercise and sings all day. That life just might be something like the meditative space that I hope to find somewhere between mile 3 and mile 15 of a run.....

7 comments:

Jen said...

"Not only do they get to fly around and sing all day, but the endorphins have to be quite active under those feathers."

Man, that sounds like THE LIFE!

tracie said...

seriously does sound like the life!

while i agree with you about 'canary jail' i think canaries are overall happy little fellows. my aunt has always had canaries 'in jail' and they sing ALOT!!!!

i had to house sit once for her and they were quite vocal beginning around 4:30am till forever practically.

Charlie said...

"Show me all that you know, I'll show you, snow and rain....."
Thanks for the show. I am diggin' Bertha right now.

triguyjt said...

way to break that down for us, bbop...
nice post.

i will think of the canary when I get my hr up near max...

Papa Louie said...

I fear that their life span is so short because of the high heart rate. But if they can sing while they soar over all the earthly entanglements then their life is living to the fullest.

GP said...

Next time I see a bird chirping happily along, I'll know why.

Boy, do I miss a genuinely good runner's high. I guess I should stop being a wimp and really get out. Sure, I've run 45-60 min lately, but not at rates that make my day. I guess that's what winter's really for: appreciating your runner's high when it's gone.

triguyjt said...

I just tagged you. It's a pain, but I hope you do it anyway!

The rules are as follows:
# Link to the person who tagged you
# Post the rules on your blog.
# Share seven random and/or weird facts about yourself on your blog.
# Tag seven random people at the end of your post, and include links to their blogs.
# Leave a comment on their blogs so that they know they have been tagged.

thanks...triguyjt..