Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Ginger Tea for Breakfast

I was tagged by TriguyJT (who has a nice bio in Ohio Sports and Fitness this month), and I will respond to that shortly, but this morning I've got to ask you what it is that you think caused me to miss half a nights sleep last night.

I had my tri swimming clinic again on Sunday. We had a really nice workout, and afterwards I felt great. I didn't get the post long workout crash that is typical after pushing my limits. I was SO happy to finally be back after my long bout with the illness in January. After the workout, I headed over to The Feve to eat, since my typical spot, The Black River Cafe had a line to the door. The brunch at the Feve was awesome!! A little more expensive than the Black River, but still affordable. I started off with a cup of wild mushroom soup. Then mama bear (my server, yes at the bottom of my receipt it said thank you....mama bear.) brought me a giant a sweet potato burrito with sides of black beans and rice with diced tomatoes and herbs, and a tangy coleslaw. Everything was delicious.

As I sat at the bar waiting for this dish and drinking my coffee, my neighbor commented about her friend "giving me the flu" by sitting next to me. I overheard this...I mean don't you overhear almost everything your neighbors say when you dine alone. I may have been reading, but I smiled when I was brought into the trio's conversation. I proceeded to tell them that I already had the flu and it attacked my upper respiratory system for three weeks. Their response was that this is "the other strain" of flu with a quirky smile. I get it.

So, moving onto today, I finish my afternoon/early evening workout and stop at the nearby coffee shop to refuel. The food at this joint isn't too great when you are so hungry you could eat enough for two (they do have decent cookies). I passed up on my typical choices....lentils and rice, granola with soymilk and opted for the med-ah-terranean turkey wrap, going against my better judgement of ordering meat from a questionable source (as in factory farmed....shame). When I ordered it, the employee taking my order AND the employee making a drink right next to him both chuckled. I found this odd, and asked them if the med-ah-terranean turkey thing was a poor choice for some reason. Hell, I'm a regular and I thought they would tell me the truth. The cashier assured me they were not laughing about my food choice, but some other peculiar occurrence that only two people who are cooped up together for 8 hours day after day could laugh about. I took their word for it, and I got the med-ah-terranean thing.

So, here I sit typing away in the pre-dawn hours, when I'd really like to be working out. But instead, I am having ginger tea because I was lying awake in the fetal position this morning from 3:00 until 5:00 while my stomach seemed to by experiencing what was comparable to an earthquake. This was accompanied by a mild fever, and I thought that if things got worse I might be talking to the porcelian gods. Are you kidding me?? Not again!!!! Prior to going to bed "it" didn't, uh, come out the wrong end, but it sure came out the right end with a vengeance. I went to bed and didn't think too much of it, other than questioning if I worked out too hard today or IF I ATE SOMETHING BAD.

So, as I finish my tea and debate wether I should try and get some more rest or get the day started I am wondering.....was it my neighbor with the flu or the food at the coffee shop? I'm leaning toward the coffee shop food because my symptoms are WAY better than they were in the middle of the night. And, the coffee shop employs mostly militant, fixed gear riding vegans....who just might think it was funny that some meat eating yuppie looking dude ate the turkey that was "accidentally" left out over night. I mean, these are the folks that like to threaten cars with their U-locks and often refer to themselves as being a part of the "fixed gear army." And giving someone tainted meat/dairy is kind like food warfare, no?

10 comments:

Jen said...

Ewwww, B, this sounds awful. Maybe you have "crypto." They've had to shut down & clean some of the pools around here a couple times this year because of outbreaks... And it seems to be going on throughout the midwest. The idea of it totally grosses me out.

But dude, don't blame the pro-bike vegans!!!

More on crypto:

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyswimming/cryptofacts.htm

http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/ViewMiscArticle.aspx?TabId=251&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en&mid=361&ItemId=141

Feel better! There should be a rule that if you've been sick, you should be exempt from more illness for a while. Sadly, it doesn't work that way.

tracie said...

I hope you are back to normal! The ginger tea was definitely a good choice.

I don't know, Jen, you have to watch out for those pro-bike vegans! ;)

B Bop said...

Veg, that crypto info is unpleasant, to say the least!!! I thought you might disagree with the knowingly tainted turkey wrap ;-)

The good news is that whatever it was, it didn't stick around too long, and I should be back 2 training tomorrow.

Jen said...

Yeah, it's gross, huh? I became much more careful about not accidentally swallowing the pool water once I learned about this.

Glad you're better already :-)

Charlie said...

You went to the wrong coffee shop.
If you had gone to a cafe with the militant multi gear riding vegans.
We would have told you to get the veggie wrap rather then just poison you.

GP said...

Ugh. I hate that stomach problems can be so debilitating, easy to cause and impossible to shake. Take it easy on your stomach so it doesn't seek further revenge.

And you've been pre-tagged after I had intended on tagging you, so I'm using you anyway.

triguyjt said...

good luck and thanks for the nice mention..i have yet to see the article.
on the food. i have discovered the pink lentils...tiny little buggers. love em.. don't know if they solve any problem for u..just thought i would mention them.
look forward to your list.
say hi to mama bear next time you are in the FEVE

triguyjt said...

thanks for the mention...
say hi to mama bear next time your are in feve

E-Speed said...

yikes! hope you are feeling better!

solarsquirrel said...

Aw! You have been having a bad strain of luck. No more illnesses!!! OH - have you ever been to Appalachian Outfitters? I feel the same way when I go in there - the girls who work there are beeyotches who think just because they don't shave their legs or brush their hair and wear wool socks every day they are superior to me. And what's up with their fake accent?!?