Thursday, September 20, 2007

International Car Free Day


Saturday, September 22nd is International Car Free Day. So, unless you support exploitation of natural resources, unhealthy air, noisy streets, and unjust wars you should do your best to leave your automobile where it sits when you wake up (if you own one :-) You should ask your friends to do the same. Here in Northeast Ohio the weather will be beautiful....perfect for walking or biking around. And if you have public transit available to you go on ahead and use it...take a good book to read on the journey, like this one. I find reading much more enjoyable than operating a car anyways. To read a little about International Car Free Day go here or here.

And if you are interested in less important things (like my Portage Lakes Tri race report) stop back.....I'll be reliving the day in my next post.

7 comments:

E-Speed said...

hey I might actually be able to pull this off Saturday! Means no running in the valley but instead I'll work in the yard! Thanks for the heads up!

Jen said...

Awesome! I'm going to see if I can get Asphalt Nation from the public library - seems like something I should read. And I'll be at the Bike Library on Saturday gettin' the car-free word out. Love this logo!

JenC said...

Wish I could comply. I'm driving down to Columbus on Saturday to get ready for the Toyota Challenge on Sunday. Boo!

B Bop said...

Jen, since you're giving a carless friend of ours a ride to Deer Creek I think you are exempt from the "holiday." ;-)

In terms of pollution a fuel efficient car (i.e. not a hummer) filled to capacity with riders is pretty effecient. A large part of America's CO2 problem is that most of us drive around by ourselves....in SUV's no less.

Jen said...

Hmm... I'm wondering if Charlie is going to have his Deer Creek race report up before you get yours on here. ;-) Sure, you're working full-time AND going to school full-time, but is that *really* an excuse?

C'mon, man, I'm injured and other people's races is all I got! I need my tri fix...

Craig said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Craig said...

People need to car pool, drive renewable energy vehicles or take mass transit. This will happen either when fossil fuels become too costly in price and to the environment. Personally, I think fossil fuels days are numbered.

Another nice race today with the 18 minute 5K in Cuyahoga Falls. Your carbon footprint is fast on the short course too!