Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The true cost of freedom, wealth, and cheap energy...

Just the other day I was listening to the radio as is typical. Talk Radio. NPR. A day's worth of this programming tends to bombard me with facts, which I tend to like. Until I hear a fact like this one.....

24,000 civilians died in iraq last year due to millitary intervention.

I immediatly wrote the number down, so that I could include it in my blog to give us all some food for thought.

I looked and looked at the number in awe,

24,000!!!

Then I looked at that number and what it was describing,

24,000 civilians.

That is almost 66 people per day!!

Do you remember the terrible sense of loss we all felt after 9/11?

The death toll was nearly 3,000.

Can you fathom 24,000 deaths in one year due to war.

Can you try. Try and imagine what it would be like to live in this environment.

Imagine the New York City streets riddled with gunfire and car bombs, day in and day out.

This is Baghdad.

This, my friends, is the ugly hand of terrorism.

We need energy independence in this country.

Tell someone.

3 comments:

Jodi said...

I can't even fathom living in fear every day. So sad.

Jodi

Charlie said...

I am with you. The decisions we make in every moment of our lives can have such a profound effect on so many around the globe and beyond.
Sadly this largely privatized war may be such a boom for contractors(note the mention of a civilian reserve in the State of the Union)that it may not ever end in one form or another. The money to be made in contracts is huge. This is a great crime.
If you get a chance, watch the DVD "Iraq for Sale".

Charlie said...

I am with you. The decisions we make in every moment of our lives can have such a profound effect on so many around the globe and beyond.
Sadly this largely privatized war may be such a boom for contractors(note the mention of a civilian reserve in the State of the Union)that it may not ever end in one form or another. The money to be made in contracts is huge. This is a great crime.
If you get a chance, watch the DVD "Iraq for Sale".