Thursday, December 07, 2006

Footprints in the Snow

Well, well....I've been waiting for a nice snowfall ever since the leaves fell this fall and it has finally arrived. A couple of feet would be better than a couple of inches, but I'll take what I can get. I hit the trail with the puppy as soon as I could this afternoon and was a little upset when I pulled into the parking lot and saw a couple of cars. There was obviously a couple of sets of footprints at the trailhead but after a couple of quick turns I found some fresh trail to break. Happiness is breaking trail after a fresh snow, no doubt. When the snow is nice and deep it's fun to imagine that I'm in some vast and remote northern forest....and there's no telling what might lie just over the horizon....


But alas, as the footprints in the snow tell me there is not much around here besides a whole bunch of deer, a couple of coyotes, and an occasional hiker. Speaking of remote northern forests, did you know that while in the backcountry you are more likely to get hit by lightning than attacked by a bear?? It's funny, because as I'm sure every hiker knows, countless times we are asked, "Aren't you afraid you'll get eaten by a bear?" Not once have I been asked, "Aren't you afraid you'll get hit by lightning?" Another misconception we can blame on the media, I guess.

Here's a great quote from Oregon congressman Earl Blumenauer at a bike lane dedication:
"Let's have a moment of silence for all those Americans who are stuck in traffic on their way to the gym to ride the stationary bicycle."
In other related news I hear Cleveland is going to get a bike station. You know, a place in downtown near public transportation with secure bike parking, bike repair facilities, showers, and lockers for your work clothes, etc. Cleveland Bikes was awarded a $10,000 grant to fund the facility. Progress. Keep moving foreward.

Well, as much as I'd like to sit at my computer and divulge my every thought to you it is Friday night and I've got a date with my math book.....seeing how I have a final exam in the class on Monday morning @ 7:30 (whose idea was that??) So, until another day.....

No comments: