Sunday, November 12, 2006

Apple Cider on a Fall Sunday

It's another Sunday night and here I sit in front of the 'ole computer with a hot cup of cider. Fall is upon us folks, and winter is right around the corner. If the colorful leaves last month didn't awaken you to this fact, the stiff breeze that was blowing today was all the evidence that you should need. The spectacular fall colors are gone, faded to shades of brown, and the landscape is littered with the skeletons of Ohio's deciduous trees. If you recall, last year thanksgiving morn we all awoke to blizzard-like conditions in NE Ohio, and of course thanksgiving is just over a week away. I will welcome that first heavy snow and look foreward to tromping through the powder with my trusty four-legged hiking partner. But that hike will have to wait as today's cool air was just a sign of things to come.

I set out for my first run in about a month tonight wearing my winter hat and gloves. There is something wonderful about being outside, breathing hard, in the cold. It reminds me that I am alive and the harsh realities of this life are still outside of the four walls of my home that keep me warm and dry. I was elated to have my foot healthy enough to beginning running again. The repitition of my breath and the sound of my Asics harmoniously intertwined with my trusty running partner's tapping toenails and rhythmic panting was more than therapeutic. Unfortunatly, after just a short couple of miles it was time to head for home. The purpose of todays run was to test the foot and reawaken my body to the stresses of running. I suffered the consequences of the all too common side-effect of clearing my mind as well.

Saturday night, after watching the Cavaliers mighty comeback in the fourth quarter against the Celtics I decided to head to the video store to rent The Prairie Home Movie. It was excellent....if you enjoy the radio show. If you are not familiar with the radio show and enjoy dry humor or acoustic music it is recommended. If you become emotional at those times of awareness of the passing of time it is also recommended. If you are a "family person" it is recommended. If you are a republican and/or for big business, or consider yourself urbane it is not recommended. Personally, I think Garrison Keilor is a genius and tomorrow I will listen to the replay of Saturdays "Prairie Home Companion" over the internet while I work...just what I need to make another day at the same desk in the same corner of the same room transform from unendurable to enjoyable.

No comments: