Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Would Cloud 10 Be Higher Than Cloud 9??

It's safe to say that when I made my last post I was still floating on cloud 10 after the spring classic. My battery died in my watch while I was waiting in line at the 'ole port-o-pew, and as I was approaching the finish all I heard was 19:30. My "official" time in the spring classic.....19:42. Still a PR. Still over a minute and a half faster than my previous PR. I'm still happy. I'm still trying to conceptualize the idea of running Boston in the future. Stay tuned....
If you haven't seen it yet, Saint Ralph is a fun and inspirational story of the journey to Boston. I'm still trying to find the time to watch Running on The Sun.

After a recent conversation with Charlie about the difficulties associated with peace on this grand planet of ours, CNN.com has had some insightful articles posted online over the last couple of days about Iran's nuclear program.

In light of this maybe we should listen to Einstein:

"Peace Cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."

"I know not with what weapons WWIII will be fought, but WWIV will be fought with sticks and stones."

"You cannnot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war."

Ok, my insight of the day is that pesimism and fear of our impending battles with the forces of "evil" in the Middle East will only compound the problems that face the Western world and their relations in that region. Optimism and acceptance is the only path that will lead us to a place where no one fears for their life, or takes that of another for the sake of their political agenda or spiritual leader. Think, for a second, of the role of the television in this war and our perception of it. What comes to mind when I mention Northern Africa? What comes to mind when I mention the Middle East? My friends, they are the same place and are home to some of the most ancient cultures in the world. What seperation do the names Northern Africa and Middle East have in your mind? What emotions do the words Middle East evoke in you? Do you trust your TV? The media? What role to they play to perpetuate fear and contribute to thinking that will not allow us to find peace with our neighbors overseas? Do Middle Easterners face the same skewed thinking? Where can we buy a pair of glasses to help us see through the shit and see truth....and peace?

Do you want to gather with folks all across the country to promote renewable energy? Then Step it Up already. This will be one great event and I want to see you there...

Sorry if this talk of war has been getting you down. I seem to have a knack for failing to ignore the painful truth. Maybe this will brighten your spirits...."bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity." I don't know who to give credit for that one. If you're still upset/worried about Northern Africa, visit here (ice cream makes everything better.)

1 comment:

Charlie said...

I grateful that you speak of something other than Anna Nichole Smith or American Idol.

Hopefully we will turn toward Bokonism before WWIV.

Ice 9 remains a danger.

Ice 9=Not a Ben and Jerry's Flavor. It was however the name of Robert and Jerry's Music Publishing Co.