Monday, April 30, 2007

Change Direction. Keep Going.

Well, I could easily be on the verge of a deep depression right about now. I have been looking foreward to the Cleveland half-marathon for months. All of my short base building runs this winter were geared towards this race. I began increasing mileage in in March to get ready. It was the only big race on my agenda for the early part of the summer, my first half-marathon. At this moment I am sitting at my computer after my second failed attempt to get a short easy run in over the last 4 days due to my calf stain. Maybe I'll be able to get a run in next weekend, but after having to take 2 weeks off so close to the race I'm not sure I'll be ready. I'm not sure I'll be running through downtown Cleveland pushing myself to reach my goal of a 1:35 in my first half. 1:35 won't win me any prizes and at this pace there would be plenty of people ahead of me. But I want to prove to myself I can do it. If my calf does heal and I am ready for the race next month it is quite unlikely I'd be able to reach this goal after my 2 week hiatus. Right now I'm just hanging on to my final hopes that I'll be able to rapidly get back up to par, but with each day of giving the calf a rest I'm taking one step away from the starting line in Cleveland....

But, I've been spending the lost running time on the bike. So, plan B consists of rapidly getting ready for my first century ride by early June, at the good 'ole Sunday in June ride put on by the Cleveland Touring Club. I was figuring I'd be up for the 100K by this time, but since I've gained all of this extra bike time with the calf problem I might as well move along to another goal to mark off the list and do the 100 miler. I've still got the end of summer goals to set and have to make some decisions between a late fall marathon, my first double century on the bike, or a longer distance triathlon. The tri depends on 2 things: 1)how my swimming progresses and 2)how the calf holds up. #2 is obviously the big factor for a fall marathon.

Believe me folks, the idea of having to postpone my first half marathon is a hard pill to swallow. Lucky for me I've got a giant glass of other goals to help me wash it down.

4 comments:

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

I feel your pain...literally. I've been nursing a pulled left calf muscle and having little or no progress with the issue. Arg! In the mean time, I'm just planning on making my bike my best friend. And the pool. Sigh.

Mend soon

Charlie said...

Keep doing what you can.
Swimbikeswimbike.
I had a bad spain 3 weeks before my first half IM. I thought I was thru. I kept working at everything I could.
Come race day my legs were Strong and healthy. The run went great.
You have a solid base. Stay focused.

Jodi said...

I feel your pain too. I wanted to go 1:45. But it's looking like I'll be spectating...

See you at Sunday in June! I'll be tapering, so I will probably be doing the metric century. My first real century will probably be this weekend. 6 hours on the schedule.

Thank goodness I can still ride!!!

:-)

Jodi

Janet Edwards said...

Sounds tough but perhaps you could just ease off a bit on yourtime goal and run a nice training race.

I am excited you are doing the Sunday in June!! That would be awesome to do the century! I figure though that since I live so close I will just invite anyone interested over after I finish the 100K...perhaps you can stop by!!!