Thursday, November 30, 2006

The emotional rollercoaster of a pain in the foot...

After a month of no running, climbing, cycling, or anything else stressful to my foot, I took a 2 mile run to test the waters. No pain. Then another short run, and another. Then a four miler on thanksgiving morning. All these runs were on concrete. My foot felt fine. I went to see my sports med doc and he gave me the advice to "take it easy and add mileage slowly." All was great with the world.

Then I went for a short trail run. It was 60 degrees and sunny. I felt great and trotted around a 2 and a half mile loop nice and easy. I ran across an open field with rolling hills, through the trees and along a creekbed down into a deep ravine. I climbed back up to the field known to us Akronites as "top of the world." I saw a childhood friend on the trail with his wife and son. How perfect....

I was walking across campus the next day and felt a dull ache in my foot. Ugh!! So, I called my sports med doc and scheduled an appointment for an MRI just a couple days before christmas.

Happy hollidays...here's a cast. Come back and see me in 6 weeks and I'll put on another cast for 6 more weeks. Then, you can get back to life as you know it. Back to runs through the woods. Back to the climbing wall. Back to your bicycle. But you've got to wait 3 months. Damn!!!

Ok, maybe I'm jumping to conclusions. The results of the MRI will tell the real story. Regardless of whether or not I'll be in a cast my foot has to heal so I've got to take it easy. For now it's back to the pool and lots of "calcium fortified" soymilk and orange juice. It's lots of bicep curls and bench presses. And, lots of appreciation for how much I enjoy a run through the woods.

No comments: