Wednesday, November 01, 2006

And the Dr. said.....


Well, I have been having a minor (so I thought) pain in my foot for a few weeks. It was mentioned to me that it might be a stress fracture so I immediatly quit running and scheduled an appoitment with a sports med doctor. That doctor and I had a brief meeting yesterday.

They took an x-ray and I was mildly emberassed when the cute x-ray tech gave me a little "skirt" of sorts and told me to "hold this around your waist." I of course thanked her for the "skirt" that deflects whatever the x-ray machine emits that my future children might find harmful and tried to act normal about the whole thing.

So, I take the x-rays to the doc and they show nothing, which isn't a suprise when it comes to stress fractures. And now I have a couple of options:

1) the most expensive and (of course) most logical choice is to get an MRI to rule out a fracture.
2) wait another week or so and run a little bit to see if the pain returns

If it is a fracture of my talus it's bad news. At best 6 to 12 weeks in a cast. At worst put a pin in my foot to fix it, then cast, etc.... If I don't get an MRI and it is cracked and I do further damage then I'm "really screwed, litteraly and figurativley" (to quote trusty Dr. Figler) and I will need a pin in my foot.
full recovery time is approx 5 months. OUCH!!!!!

Remember now folks.....let's be optimists.....There is still no certainty that it is cracked. I sure don't plan to be a couch potato for the next half year.


But, not all is bad in spite of my foot troubles....I'll be attending the Cavaliers season opening game against the Wizards tonite. My prediction.....Lebron gets 32. Larry Hughes chips in 18. Off the bench Donyell throws in 16 to go with 9 boards. Drew Gooden gets 15 and 12. And last and absolutly least, Damon Jones sucks again; but it doesn't matter as the Cavaliers win by 8.

No comments: